Below are excerpts from Greenlight VR’s July Research Report, which investigate trends on the state of the industry, including VR growth, investments and opportunities.

The Industry Is Expanding Rapidly

The number of companies considered “pure-play” VR (those with a majority of their revenues derived from selling virtual reality related products and services) has spiked 250% since 2012, which unsurprisingly coincides with the timeframe of Oculus launching a popular Kickstarter in ‘12.


Virtual Reality Is Going Global

While the United States accounts for nearly 51% of the entire VR landscape, the other 49% of companies tracked are spread across 44 different countries and 5 continents.


Much of the undiscovered talent (e.g., developers and designers with VR project experience) exist overseas. To that point, the countries with large-scale VR operations beyond the US are predominantly in the UK and Canada, with emerging communities also taking shape in France, Germany, Australia, Spain, Japan, Netherlands, Switzerland, China, Italy and Portugal.

Investment Is Flowing Into VR

In the last five years, virtual reality companies have raised $746 million in venture capital investments globally, with year-over-year increases each year. Investors pumped 50% more money into Virtual Reality startups during the first six months of 2015 than in all of 2014—a good sign for the industry.


*As of July 2015, the amount of funding raised this year largely trumps 2014’s

Opportunities Exist in Education, Healthcare and Social


When examining the fundraising landscape in VR, notice a majority of the investments are heavily linked to the gaming/entertainment sectors—which makes sense, as gaming is likely to dominate the industry early. But this space (along with architecture/3D visualization) is highly competitive. For those daring enough to dream big in education, social experiences and/or healthcare, these are highly underfunded areas ripe for disruption.

Spotlight: 3 Amazing French Companies to Watch


In the Virtual Reality landscape there are many development studio “wannabes” that lack experience (most VR studios are less than 1 year old), or create lackluster content. InnerSpace is NOT one of those companies. To the contrary, they are the genius masterminds behind some of the most breaktaking, mind-blowing VR content that makes you jump out of your seat screaming “NO WAY!” Balthazar Auxietre and his team have been recognized by Samsung and Oculus as leaders in the content creation category.


Kolor is a Virtual Reality company located in the French Alps that specializes in panorama and virtual tour software as well as video-stitching. They were notably acquired by GoPro in 2015 but their offices will remain in France. Co-Founders Alexandre Jenny and Lionel Laissus are growing their company year over year and are well positioned to be the industry standard for consumer facing camera-capture software.


Livelike is marketing its company as the first ‘Social’ VR Sports viewing application. Friends and family can view sports in Virtual Reality together like never before. For example, users will have the ability to control multiple camera angles of a potential sporting event while chatting with the ‘virtual’ person watching right next to them. LiveLike has offices in France and the United States.

Virtual Reality Interactive Infographic Map

Greenlight VR compiled key investment metrics that focus on VR growth and fundraising here, which include top VR investments, year over year growth, and where in the U.S. most companies are developing.

And lastly, Greenlight VR’s 2015 Ecosystem Map

With many curious to explore Virtual Reality, GreenlightVR created a comprehensive ecosystem map that outlines premier global VR companies and VR sectors in the space.     

2015 Virtual Reality Ecosystem Map  

This article was written by Howie Leibach Sr. Director of Research & Insights at  Greenlight VR