On Monday September 18, the Open Innovation Club gathered for its monthly Techmeeting around Energy Innovation. The panel brought together a group of professionals in the automotive and energy industries:
- Robert Lassartesses, Department Lead on EV Technologies and Advanced Systems at Renault
- Stephanie Jumel, Energy Services Program Director at EDF
- Maud Texier, Senior Product Manager-Powerpack at Tesla
- Edouard Bulteau, Investment Manager at Total Energy Ventures
The panelists shared some relevant perspectives on the intersection between vehicle electrification, energy storage, renewables and energy distribution. All four of these companies are committed to cleaner sources of energy and decarbonizing the energy mix. They are scouting, developing and commercializing innovative solutions and exploring new forms of partnerships that will help them move away from fossil fuels.
Electrification is the most viable and widely-known solution for decarbonizing energy, however it is not the only solution. Total and Renault are exploring alternative fuel sources such as biomethane, hydrogen, ethanol and BioCNG. Tesla and EDF are on their side looking a lot at renewable sources of energy such as solar panels, wind turbines, and heat pumps.
With Tesla’s acquisition of Solar City and development of energy storage solutions, or Total’s acquisition of Sunpower and Saft, or Renault looking at deploying more alternative fuel vehicles, many opportunities are emerging for these companies to develop new products and services around new business models.
Many of these innovations were illustrated with the startups that pitched their solutions at the event:
- Verdigris, a cloud analytics software for enterprise facilities managers and large commercial buildings
- CROSSLUX designs and manufactures transparent photovoltaic glazing
- Energyworx crunches data to optimize the energy grid
- ElectrIQ Power is an energy storage, monitoring, and management company
- Ecovolt leases unused roof space from commercial landlords
- Freewire Technologies provides mobile EV charging
Join us for our next Techmeetings:
- In Paris, October 19 on Blockchain
- In San Francisco, October 25 on Smart Mobility
- In San Francisco, November 15 on Robotics
- In Paris, November 16 on Smart Mobility
- In San Francisco, December 13 on Chatbots